BBC Sky Balloon

Scanning radio frequencies for Northern Ireland
Minus1
Top Poster
Top Poster

BBC Sky Balloon

Post by Minus1 »

The BBC are launching a balloon into the stratosphere today as part of the 'Stargazing' programme

http://twitter.com/BBCSkyBalloon

I don't know what freqs it might use, but weather balloons tend to be 402–405 MHz, no doubt there will other UHF/SHF? freqs re any camera on board.

Launch scheduled for 11:00 from Marble Arch Caves near the village of Florencecourt in County Fermanagh
KEY : = channel/stud | ~ = CTCSS/DCS | ^ = transmitter site | ¯ = overhead | * = trunked
nerdsville

Re: BBC Sky Balloon

Post by nerdsville »

Interesting, from the twitter feed it seems they are using a SPOT GPS tracker

they were apparently testing it the other day, so assume this will the page
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... TBeh3zGRWU

Reading up it seems this device sends locations messages received by the LEO GEOS satellites on 1.6GHz

The payload has a video camera (to be retrieved later) but they have tweeted that they are sending out photo during the flight, no idea how..
Minus1
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Minus1 »

There is a balloon downlink on 404.2 now, but I don't know if it is the BBC one or something else entirely.
KEY : = channel/stud | ~ = CTCSS/DCS | ^ = transmitter site | ¯ = overhead | * = trunked
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter »

Minus1 wrote:There is a balloon downlink on 404.2 now, but I don't know if it is the BBC one or something else entirely.
That's probably the sonde from Cambourne. The BBC balloon should be using 434.65MHz.
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.