comrep's

Scanning radio frequencies for the North West
radiocom
Call Sign: M0OEG

comrep's

Post by radiocom »

sorry to post this here but didnt really know where to put it any how...!!!

what if any are the chances of being caught using a comrep freq with a ctcss tone thats not in use... as i have tested lots of comrep freqs opened up tested all the ctcss tones opened the repeater and then monitored them for activity i have even said hello on some and never got a response..!!!

cheers all...

p.s. i know its illegal but so is ssb cb lol
26-TM-542
RogerD
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: comrep's

Post by RogerD »

The owner could try to Direction Find you, and if you use it enough they might pick up clues about who/where you are from what you're talking about, and start to recognise your voice. From then on you'll be stuffed.... they might discover you on another band and reel you in there :mrgreen:
iansradios
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by iansradios »

Df??? lol... power and also if they are mobile. would not help anyone track you down, most comereps are buisnesses that run 9 to five..although a comrep my friend has has logging and he can turn off other people using the system..older equipment is open to abuse,and i know of several pirates at night on other systems.someone not far from me. anyway if and i say if you were using another persons repeater,,use encryption or at least inversion.
RogerD
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RogerD »

iansradios wrote:.. most comreps are buisnesses that run 9 to five..
Yes, but around these parts some of the comreps are run by radio geeks (started off as hams etc) who would enjoy the challenge, quite apart from taking it personally and having enough anger to fuel them through some good DF efforts :mrgreen:
iansradios
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by iansradios »

But with variable power df is virtually impossible,or if the source is not static.
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger »

you would be supprised just how easy DFing is.

you only need 3 direction readings 45 degs from each other and you got your plot on the map.
then you move in close and go for 3rd harmonic or higher the closer you get until with no antenna you are outside house.

Ofcourse as said a bit more trickier if running mobile but not impossible

Have fun and try not to get caught :D
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
napalmDaz
Regular
Regular

Post by napalmDaz »

Could do with a ham repeater on winter hill. It's a pain when driving from Lancaster to Manchester as there is no decent repeater in the middle.
iansradios
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by iansradios »

lancaster, preston, accrington,??? they all work lancaster to preston and beyond. :roll:
napalmDaz
Regular
Regular

Post by napalmDaz »

I said Lancaster to Manchester

Preston can't see around the shadow of Winter Hill and Lancaster 2m is semi directional towards the bay.

Not sure about Accrington but will be pushing it a bit from M61 and Salford.
napalmDaz
Regular
Regular

Post by napalmDaz »

Actually MP works quite well as its out in Wales and can see around the south of winter hill just fine. Unfortunately always idiots playing sirens and pratting about on it.
simon26OD004
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by simon26OD004 »

napalmDaz wrote:Could do with a ham repeater on winter hill. It's a pain when driving from Lancaster to Manchester as there is no decent repeater in the middle.
Have you tried MP? Not tried it as far north as Lancaster but it gives good coverage around Preston and Manchester.
Oscar Delta 26 Division Coordinator
http://www.oscardelta.org/ ---------------------------------- http://uk.oscardelta.org/
FREE LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP
napalmDaz
Regular
Regular

Post by napalmDaz »

simon26OD004 wrote:
napalmDaz wrote:Could do with a ham repeater on winter hill. It's a pain when driving from Lancaster to Manchester as there is no decent repeater in the middle.
Have you tried MP? Not tried it as far north as Lancaster but it gives good coverage around Preston and Manchester.
I have mate yes. It does work quite well as it can see around the hill, however there are always idiots messing around playing noises, sirens and keying over people. I think it attracts a lot of attention due to its footprint.
iansradios
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by iansradios »

All those four i can hit pretty well between here and wigan
radiocom
Call Sign: M0OEG

Post by radiocom »

i agree im in wigan and mobile repeater use in wigan is to say the least..... **** mp rubbish sig's so is mn thats that for vhf nothing else...

uhf mr rubbish always has been cr ...hmmm hit and miss pz another nope...

by the way i can only use uhf in car as there is a pmr radio running on vhf so uhf it has to be

the only uhf repeater that i could get into round wigan was gb3my in westhoughton shame its not on air anymore it was the old gb3mt repeater freq that was on top of winter hill ntl site one of the best uhf repeaters ever..!!

i hope someone is reading this who might want to venture into setting a uhf repeater up for the wigan area...!!!

i can get hold of tait repeater equipment..!!!
26-TM-542
iansradios
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by iansradios »

I have a spare vhf repeater!