Drone over Newcastle upon Tyne?

Scanning radio frequencies for the North East
georgebush
Regular
Regular

Drone over Newcastle upon Tyne?

Post by georgebush »

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum but thought I would post this. Over the past few days I've noticed a light, single-engined aircraft circling over the city. It always appears around dinner time and is up for 3-4 hours. I've always been at work when I've seen it and so could not use my scanner to listen to the airport. I also cannot see any identifying markings on it. It seems unlikely that this could be someone taking flying lessons or taking photos etc. Is it's presence a bit more sinister? Has anyone else seen it or does anyone have any suggestions as to what it is?
Cheers.
jhampton2000

Re: Drone over Newcastle upon Tyne?

Post by jhampton2000 »

This site might help you identify what it is you're looking, but it doesn't show everything (especially if it's low level or military)
http://www.flightradar24.com/
WoollyMammoth
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WoollyMammoth »

Try taking a picture of it next time and someone might be able to identify it.

I don't think planes are allowed to fly over the city, only in certain situations so doubt it is someone taking lessons.
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thelad »

Maybe the Met office, they do this regular, check the NOTAMS for your area, its unlikely to be a drone in a built up area.
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Newcastle City itself is part of the Terminal Control Area of Newcastle airport, so I very much doubt it's a drone, as it's on controlled airspace. Its more than likely one of our aircraft from the Northumbria Flying school. Either doing repeated trial flights or actual lessons, most of which are between 30 and 60 mins in length, they could have all been departing and entering the zone to the southern access, which is the overhead the Tyne Bridge, hence they'd all seem to be in the same place at the same time, so you could be mistaken for thinking it was the same plane on the same flight.
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
georgebush
Regular
Regular

Post by georgebush »

Thanks for the information chaps, it has been most useful. Typically, I have not seen the aircraft since posting but I will keep a keen eye out.
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: RDX64

Post by Mattylad »

That doesn't mean that it's not watching you...;)
georgebush
Regular
Regular

Post by georgebush »

Yes, watching me today, bombing me tomorrow....
handyguy2002

Post by handyguy2002 »

There is a lad going round northesst with a droid taking movies and putting them Facebook if this helps
Binatone 950
QuanSheng TG-UV2
TYT 380 + TYT 9600
Kirisun S780
Uniden +BCT15x + BCD396t +BCD536 hp
HYTERA PD505
WHISTLER TRX2