Scanning radio frequencies for the North East
Leapfrog
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: Arbeia

Recommended scanner antenna?

Post by Leapfrog »

Hi all,

I own a tti TSC 3000R handheld wideband scanner. I live about a mile from the coast and can easily pick up marine VHF channels and some taxi/bus companies.

I am struggling to get a decent air band reception and can not pick anything up on the CB frequencies. I assume i need a better antenna.

Can anyone recommend an all round decent antenna. I would rather not put one on my roof (wife not happy) but if anyone can recommend a decent one around the £50 mark i would be pleased to hear from you.
Also, would a mobile car antenna be any good indoors?

Many thanks in advance :)

Paul
normal
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Recommended scanner antenna?

Post by normal »

When I was in Tyneside a while back there was not much FM CB activity.
The taxi rank in the haymarket were using channel 35 mid band for occasional car to car chat but you won't hear them from South Shields. Perhaps someone currently in the area can give an update.
Leapfrog
Regular
Regular

Post by Leapfrog »

Thanks for that. Maybe im just in a quiet area?
user8666

Post by user8666 »

i got this one from nevarda radio great antenna made from fiber glass much better than a discone no worrys of the legs falling off this unlike the discone link below http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/radio-scan ... er-b1300-n
Leapfrog
Regular
Regular

Post by Leapfrog »

Thanks!
liamcarbin
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by liamcarbin »

reds129 wrote:i got this one from nevarda radio great antenna made from fiber glass much better than a discone no worrys of the legs falling off this unlike the discone link below http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/radio-scan ... er-b1300-n
Would this be suitable indoors in a loft? and do you need to buy extras like coax?
Liam Carbin
Stoke-on-Trent

Uniden Bearcat 3500xlt
Realistic Pro-70 Hyperscan
Moonraker Skyscan Mobile Antenna
R820T Dongle ADSB Receiver
TYT-MD380
user8666

Post by user8666 »

yer you will have to buy coax and n type male plug to what ever your coax lead will be and i have never tryed it in the loft
Leapfrog
Regular
Regular

Post by Leapfrog »

Just an update on my original question re a recommended antenna for my handheld scanner:

I bought a telescopic antenna (1.27metres) 26-1300 MHz for £8 with a bnc connector (also had to buy an adaptor as my scanner is sma fitting but only £3.50)
As soon as i connected it there was a noticeable increase in the signal strength i am getting. More than happy with it now. I bought the antenna online from Sharman multicom Ltd.
user8666

Post by user8666 »

bet to get a home base outdoor antenna you will pull more stuff in