A sad goodbye

Scanning radio frequencies for the North East
bpoolfc95

A sad goodbye

Post by bpoolfc95 »

No, dry those tears and stop crying, im not saying goodbye to the forums, just my grecom. :cry: :lol: The time is drawing nearer where i will get my new uniden. Only problem is getting it delivered to maplins. That will be annoying i want it as soon as possible. I think my next radio, after the uniden, will be one that can decode Mototrbo, yes i do believe it will be possible on a scanner soon.
benw18

Re: A sad goodbye

Post by benw18 »

I am hearing rumours of a Chinese manufacturer developing a DMR scanner... I can't see it being around anytime soon, but could be interesting! Motorola are talking about releasing a new Firmware update for Mototrbo with further 'Security Enhancements'. What this means exactly we will have to wait and see, but I have a feeling it will be an increased form of encryption, and/or a default level of security 'out of the box'.

The problem is, regardless of how fast a scanner can be built, Motorola (and alike) can release Firmware updates on a regular basis quick enough to make the newest scanner 'useless'. You can use DSD now, but as soon as you hit an encrypted system your stuffed. I think when someone does come up with a scanner they need to be careful how the advertise it, I would be very annoyed if I got a digital scanner to find out it can only scan un-encrypted systems.

Interesting times ahead!
friendly1uk
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by friendly1uk »

So the scanner makers need a moto radio to get the updates as they happen, and the scanner needs something like a codec thats swapped by a pc (that see's it as an external drive).

Sounds easy enough tbh. But cracking moto would loose moto money to competators. Moto will stick there hand out for lost earnings and probably get it. You would just have to sell radio's that you can write your own special codecs for using some pc software. swapping forums would appear. Oh dear that codec was actualy moto's. Naughty torent site.

Edit: It's china though. Like they even care
benw18

Post by benw18 »

Exactly... They probably dont even care!

Its not just a case of owning the radio to get the Firmware updates though. You need to actually download the Firmware form MOL (Motorola Online), which only dealers have access to. The end users dont have access to the CPS (without buying their own copy) so the chances of getting Firmware updates is remote. If a dealer were to distribute the Firmware they could wave goodbye to their distributors license and expect legal proceedings.

I think a DMR scanner will happen, but I doubt the ability to listen to encrypted signals will be possible... If a scanner does hit the market Motorola will, without doubt, up the anti. Whether that be legal, or security enhancements.

It might all sound very simple, but its not. TRBO has been around for 5+ years and no company has released a scanner thus far. Its only recently that Motorola have spoken about increased security and enhancements to its protocol.

We shall see though.