Teesside airport

Scanning radio frequencies for the North East
courierking
Regular
Regular

Teesside airport

Post by courierking »

hi all
got myself a realistic 2004 and PSR295 i know the realistic is a bit ancient but it will do,
anyway to the point, what distance would these scanners pick up at. They both have there original antenna. i actually live vertually under the flight path so that hopefully will help . i live approx 5miles as the crow flies from the airport.

while your at it has anyone got upto date freq?
smoggy07
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Teesside airport

Post by smoggy07 »

where are you in regards to a local town?

im based in the stockton / boro area and pick up the airport on 118.500 and 119.850 (i think) one is approach/radar and one is tower/radar

if you look on the airport website and note a incoming flight then scan between 118.500 and 120 you should find something

their volmet freq is upp in the 120`s somewhere and if you are close enough you should hear the womans voice reading out the weather reports and barometric pressure and so on

all the above are broadcast in AM not FM

you might be lucky and also get the ground crew rebroadcasts of the tower output and the security and fireservice on between 455.300 and 455.900 too

im on hols in spain at the mo so i cant look on me scanner and get the exact freqs for you but with a bit of scanning up and down you should find them.
courierking
Regular
Regular

Post by courierking »

im in billlingham, so with a bit of loook should get them
smoggy07
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by smoggy07 »

in billingham you should get atleast the aircraft side of the convos

look on the teesside airport website and find a flight thats due in within the hour and about 30mins from its expected arrival, check between 118.500 and 119.950 and you should deffo pick something up from the incoming flight

when you get the police chopper over lowgrange way chasing the kids on the motor bikes, you should get him talking to the airport too, telling them what airspace he is in and if he is returning to base or going to another detail (you wont get an info as to the jobs he is on tho coz that will go thru the tetra sets to the plod on the ground as the airport dont need to know that

when i get home i`ll dig the complete list out of me scanner and go thru the scanning handbook i have
26TM234
stressedred
Call Sign: 26TM281

Post by stressedred »

now mate what anteena do you use? and what sort of distance coverage do you get. at present im getting nothing
JohnB57
Call Sign: G0SJB

Post by JohnB57 »

Frequencies are: -

118.85 - approach/radar
119.80 - tower

Both are AM frequencies - all VHF airband is AM - and you need to be careful to selct this.

From Billingham, you might also like to monitor Tees VTS (Vessel Traffic Services) on marine channel 14 - 156.70mhz FM - again be careful to select FM mode. VTS information broadcasts are at regular intervals and their transmissions to, and replies from shipping will be high power so you should get something.

If you don't receive anything on these frequencies, you may have a problem with the scanner. This could be something very simple like a bad aerial contact or shielding from a local building or transmitter so have a wander.

Most scanner enthusiasts use a "discone" antenna on the roof. Have a look on Ebay for details and prices.

Hope this helps and good luck.
smoggy07
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by smoggy07 »

JohnB57 wrote:Frequencies are: -

118.85 - approach/radar
119.80 - tower

Both are AM frequencies - all VHF airband is AM - and you need to be careful to selct this.

From Billingham, you might also like to monitor Tees VTS (Vessel Traffic Services) on marine channel 14 - 156.70mhz FM - again be careful to select FM mode. VTS information broadcasts are at regular intervals and their transmissions to, and replies from shipping will be high power so you should get something.

If you don't receive anything on these frequencies, you may have a problem with the scanner. This could be something very simple like a bad aerial contact or shielding from a local building or transmitter so have a wander.

Most scanner enthusiasts use a "discone" antenna on the roof. Have a look on Ebay for details and prices.

Hope this helps and good luck.
knew they where close lol

as for the tees vts, i get them all over the area from boro and stockton upto billingham on a hand held with stock antenna at different signal levels but in boro with a scanking black stick base twig (cant remember the propper name but it a maplin jobby) i get vts and the boats/ships too q5

channel 16 is worth programing in too for emergency voice traffic, cant remember the freq tho although 156.800 seems to ring bells so that might be worth adding too and marine channel 0 on 156.000 is another to add for s&r and cg comms
26TM234
JohnB57
Call Sign: G0SJB

Post by JohnB57 »

Hi Smoggy. Suggestion on re VTS was really so the OP would have a guaranteed high power transmission to monitor and so could test his scanner. A search set to 156/157mhz would also be useful anywhere up there. Problem with aircaraft is that the transmissions are fairly short so for test purposes, he'd need a known regularly used frequency.

I tend to be mobile in your part of the world and for air and marine, I use a micro mag mount. Designed for 2m/70cm (I am a licensed ham), it's pretty broadband and works well from 118 right up to 460 or so.
lakenheathmagic
Regular
Regular

Post by lakenheathmagic »

Why carnt people just be straight up hehe Just having a scan gets airports and things all over the place.

Durham tees valley :
Approach : 118.8500
Radar : 128.8500
Tower : 119.8000
ops 1 : 122.3500 Fr aviation / Eagle ops falcons used.
ops 2 : 134.6500 Flight Precision ( calibrator flights also used)
Air/Air 1 : 249.8000 Fr aviation.
Air/Air 2 : 396.9750 Fr aviation.

Calibrator flights and the falcons use the air-air frequencies.
The calibrator king air and Falcon200's are both military hearing these you will here mil air awacs jets etc
stressedred

Post by stressedred »

thanks for your replys lads appreciatted.
im going to make myself a dipole over the weekend see ohow that gets on.
quick one who transmits on 453.500???
user8666

Post by user8666 »

Approach 118.850
Durham Director 128.850 when instructed
Durham Tower 119.800
Durham ATIS 132.375 From 15/1/09

Fire Service 121.600

Midwest Executive 129.700 Currently not in use.
Servisair 131.900

FRA/Flight Precision Ops 122.350
Scarab14
Banned
Banned

Post by Scarab14 »

Whistler i already listed dtv freqs matie. just left the fire freq out as it isnt that interesting but they can be heard also on normal national uk fire frequencies.

As for an antenna you want to get the BNC or SMA adaptor from radioworld / ebay bout £4 at the most including postage. watson supergainer can not be faulted i have one on my uniden bearcat 3500xlt i hear planes all over the uk, ireland even holland and belgium, norway, denmark. Im on the north east coast.I suggest getting the AR-50 civil & miliatry airband antenna nevadaradio etc sell it. I am after one for the side of the house there awesome for mil air.Which you get a lot of at DTV
Scarab14
Banned
Banned

Post by Scarab14 »

stressedred i found 453.5000 can be anything theres a few whom use it. Where exactly are you in location.

examples here

453.5000 NFM

Belfast- castlecourt shopping centre
Blackpool - shopping centre
Bristol-BAe filton
Folkstone- hoverspeed
Heathrow - Holiday inn hotel security
Liverpool - easy jet ops
Manchester - trafford centre security
Newcastle - Metro, data command channel

Hope this helps mate. :D
stressedred

Post by stressedred »

im approx 2 miles north of tees port, i think its something to do with them
smoggy07
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by smoggy07 »

stressedred wrote:im approx 2 miles north of tees port, i think its something to do with them
ello again all, been having internet problems so havent been able to log in

re 453.500, off the top of me head thats here in middlesbrough i think or poss seal sands

if at the end of a message there is a very very short beep or pip theyre chemical plant coms, also heard on 453.150 and 453.250

i`ll slap it in me scanner and report back later today when i`ve had a nosey, i`ll also post other freqs i have in the northeast forum under the name of teesside freqs or something like that
26TM234